Saturday, November 22, 2014

13


Look at you there sitting on the train tracks with our dogs at your side.    


It seems like just yesterday you were born.


You've filled our home with laughter, light and love ever since.  That laughter part is especially true between you and I. Sometimes we finish each other's jokes and giggle and snort so much that we forget the cause.  


You grow and stretch and change and gently cause our family to do the same.  And you keep me on my toes.  Like the time this summer when we were driving to pick your sister up from Driver's Ed class and you were telling me a story.  You kept talking.  I kept nodding.  And then you were laughing.  And I was questioning, what? What? What's so funny?  Apparently your story took a preposterous turn of finding a giant hamster wheel in the cellar and I proceeded to nod and agree.  I clearly wasn't listening and you knew it.


Your determination, competitive spirit, and natural athletic ability make you a force to be reckoned with whether on a playing field, classroom or everyday life.  Not in a watch-out-I'm-going-to-take-you-out kind of way.  Rather a come-on-join-along-and-be-awed-at-the-grace-by-which-I-achieve-every-single-thing-I-set-my-mind-to.  All while encouraging your comrades and making them feel like there isn't anyone else you'd rather be with.














I look into your brown eyes and my soul smiles.


Happy birthday sweet girl of mine.

I love you.

-Mom

16 comments:

Kate Hall said...

wonderful! and gaspworthy, as only a daughter and mother of daughter, can feel.

Kar said...

A very Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! Time just goes way too fast with them. sniff.

dolores said...

Whoa! Hold the phone! Stop the train! Shut my mouth!:)

Oh gosh...I remember when we all went to that restaurant in town and she was showing me all the interesting things on the street and smiling, smiling, smiling. Glad that hasn't stopped!!

Hippo Birdie Two Ewes kiddo!!:)
xo

yarnivorous said...

Happy 13th! Great pics - the light really brings out those lovely brown eyes!

Ranch Wife said...

Somehow, I think the the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl!

Leslie said...

she is beautiful and looks so grown up....my oldest is 12 and i am so on the fence about the changes that come with 13 and growing older. on one hand i want her to be little still but it is also amazing to see her turn into a young woman.

Beth said...

Happy Birthday. Wonderful words for a lovely girl.

DebbyMc said...

Tears in my eyes. Oh, my, just look at her. She's beautiful in every way. Just like her mama. There is just not enough giggling and snorting going on in the world IMO, so, you GO girls! I always try to get some into each and every day. Happy birthday. To you both! ♡

the girlfriend gap said...

She is Beautiful..... Have a wonderful year loving each other. Happy 13!

Rafael's Mum said...

13? wasn't she just 11 last year? Oh my, where does the time go? Happiest of birthdays! Wonderful photos and text Dana, hope you all have a great celebration! xxx

Kim said...

I love these annual celebrations of your daughters milestones.....what an exceptional photo session this one was....she is teetering on the point of child and woman and what a glorious foundation you have given her to face whatever may come. Happy Birthday sweet child.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving.

Shirley said...

Beautifully written Dana and your daughter's spirit and beauty glow through these photos!

Birgit said...

Happy Birthday to your dear daughter!

Hugs,
Birgit

PS: I guess she didn't get another doll for her birthday this year, did she?

Tricia said...

She's beautiful! In the blink of an eye...Happy Birthday!!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Once again you got me all misty eyed with your lovely words and photos. The way you express your love through this blog space just shines all the way to my house thousands of miles away. ❤️

Amy said...

Heartwarming. Sweet. I love your letters to your girls on their birthdays. Blessed are they to call you Momma.