Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Daily walk


Everyday, twice a day, I take these two on a walk. They are brother and sister. Six years old in May. Long haired dachshunds. Stubborn, Ornery. Smart. Whiny. And most definitely part of our family.


Our walk is usually down this road and back. 

There's my girl.




Harpo

Late last week the male wasn't acting just right. A trip to the vet and an X-ray later confirmed that he's having some issues with his back. We came home with a course of meds and reassurances that he'd be back to his normal self real soon. However, yesterday morning he woke up with partial paralysis in his left hind leg. He's been at the vet since getting IV meds. Anti-inflammatories and steroids. And our vet is confident we'll get through this.

Don't mind his wacky haircut. His hair was getting so long that he was dragging half the forest inside every time he come back in. I trimmed his tail, ear and belly fur a bit to curb that. He will get a proper haircut soon.

There's my boy.

Scout. Yawning.

Scout
Hopefully he'll be home in the next few days.  And in a few weeks we will be back to our twice a day walks.

Think of all the smells he's missing along that road! He'll be anxious to check all those pee-mails left for him in his absence I'm sure. And I'll be more than happy to let him linger and "read" every last word.

-dana

14 comments:

dolores said...

Awww...I'm sure his sister is missing him too. Sending good vibes his way!:)

scottylover said...

Sending gentle hugs and prayers your way! They have a way of getting in to our hearts, don't they? Thanks for sharing your pups with us!
Sandy A

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I sure hope he bounces back soon. They are both such cute dogs.

Dena said...

I am more sensitive to animals than people. He will be back and you will spoil the hell out of him. After his sister gets her lovings in.

Mama Spark said...

"pee mails" ROFLOL. Seriously though, I hope he is back to his normal self soon. Sending hugs your way! How are the kids?

Kar said...

Hope he is back to his normal self soon. Pee-mails. Funny!!!

Amy said...

Awww, poor Scout! And poor family! I always worry over my Doxie's back. Hope Scout is home, feeling better and checking his pee-mail (cutest ever, btw) real soon!

angela said...

I hope Scout is better and back home with his family soon. I am praying for all of you!

angela said...

I hope Scout is better and back home with his family soon. I am praying for all of you!

Denise in PA said...

Scout and Harpo are so beautiful. I'm praying for a quick recovery for Scout. We have the same issue with our Peke Lilly last November...she's doing great now!

Michele said...

Heal quickly, cutie! My doxie's back legs were paralyzed years ago. He healed and turned 15 this month.

Birgit said...

I hope Scout will soon be home and back to his old self.

I feel with you, Dana. Last week our cat Flecki was seriously bitten by another (unknown) cat. We took him to the vet, and he got antibiotics as well as pain reliever. Now he has had "house arrest" for nearly a week. Funnily enough, he doesn't mind all that much (he can roam the several rooms as well as a large basement). We play a lot with him -- he is such a sweet boy. (And then think that his previous owners didn't feed him from Monday to Friday and gave him no access to the house. Makes me mad...)

Hugs,
Birgit

Ranch Wife said...

Hope your boy is back to enjoying those walks. You captured some beautiful shots, but my first thought was that I wish I was there to capture you getting those shots....you were laying on the ground, weren't you? LOL

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

Aw, man. I hope Scout is feeling like his normal self soon!!!