Friday, July 31, 2015

Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along: Old Red Barn Block

Welcome to Old Red Barn Co. where I've made the Old Red Barn block as part of the Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along with Fat Quarter Shop.  It's from the new book from Lori Holt titled Farm Girl Vintage and I mean come on . . . a quilt block in the form of an old red barn? How could I not?


The book includes instructions for 45 sampler blocks in two sizes (6" and 12") and I made my barn in the 12" size.


And I spent an inordinate amount of time choosing perfect fabric to fussy cut those barn windows.




Here she is in front of my barn. Ain't she cute?

Now the real question is why doesn't this girl have an entire quilt made with old red barn blocks? The actual cutting and sewing wouldn't take me long.  But choosing the fabric for the windows? Well. That could be FUN!

Be sure to check out the sew along. The sheep! The cherries! The pumpkin! And though not included as part of the sew along, Farm Girl Vintage includes a pattern for a tractor.

A tractor!

::squeal::

-dana

P.S. If you're on Instagram, check out #farmgirlfridays

7 comments:

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

How cute is your barn...on your barn?! :) I am just beginning my FGV quilt...playing catch up. And I can't wait to get to the pumpkin. I really should just skip ahead and do it. Maybe this weekend.

Kar said...

I am so getting this book for myself now! I was on the fence about it till now. Love your barn block!!! : )

Libby said...

Love your barn ~ the windows are awesome! This is by far my favorite sewalong.

Jacque. said...

I've been following the sewalong on Instagram and find the blocks are all too dang cute for words. And, I gotta say, your barn with the fussy-cut windows takes the cake! Good job, Dana! And, yes...why don't you have a quilt of old red barns? ~grin~ Have a great weekend!

Jo said...

I've got the book and I've got the fabric so I'm just waiting to take the plunge and start cutting! Your block is beautiful x

Amy said...

oh gosh! This is adorable! It *almost* makes me brave enough to try my hand at quilting. Almost.

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

That is super adorable.