Friday, August 21, 2015

Sixteen of the sweetest

 1)  You make us laugh. Whether it's a silly dance move, a funny observation on the world or watching you get a case of the giggles, you make us laugh each and every day.

2)  You're not happy unless everyone is happy.

3)  I love your willingness to try new things even if sometimes it takes a little encouragement from those you love. Like jumping off the boulder into the cold lake this summer.  Or calling the school and letting them know how much you wanted to be part of the mentor program. Or taking on leadership roles even though you already have a full plate.


4)  You have the most beautiful, thickest, gorgeous hair I have ever seen.

5)  The way you've tackled high school is impressive. My chest swells with pride when I think of all that you are accomplishing each and every day.

6)  You spent a week on the Appalachian Trail this summer!


7)  And even though I didn't get to see or talk to you for two weeks while you were prepping for and hiking the AT, Dad and I are so proud of you for taking on that challenge and mastering it like a boss!

8) You're a great cook and adventurous eater.

9)  I love that a good book stays in your head and sometimes makes it hard for you to start a new one. It's almost as if you feel you would be betraying the characters of the story by moving on. I get that. I really, really get that.



10)  You're gentle, kind, thoughtful and considerate. I think I say that every year on your birthday but there really are no better words to describe you.

11)  Well, there are additional words too. Like smart, conscientious, understanding, and forgiving.

12)  And accepting. You accept people for exactly how they are. It's not in you to try to mold anyone into what you think they should be. Or to judge them for being how they are.



 13)  Fashion flair! 


14)  Thank you for taking the time to notice things that matter to others. You make me feel heard and understood.  Teenagers get a bad rap for being self involved but the woman you are becoming is far from that. You take mental note of things happening in other peoples lives and are first in line to celebrate, commiserate, mourn or comfort whatever the case may be.


15)  You're beginning to understand that you have wings. The world is a big and wonderful place and you are grounded and well equipped to maneuver it. Trust yourself. You've got this.

16) Reread number 15. You really, really do have this.

Happy 16th birthday sweet girl!

I love you.

So much.

-Mom

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful! Apparently your blog needs a "like very much" button! She is gorgeous, inside and out ;-)

Birgit said...

Happy Birthday from me, too! :)

Laura said...

A wonderful tribute.

beth said...

gaaaah!!! this is beautiful and she is so lovely!! i love when we can know our kids deeply like this and encourage them for being who they are!! happy 16!!

AnnieO said...

A wonderful tradition you have with your beloved girls--they will be wonderful women with the love and strength given them.

Kar said...

A very Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! Beautiful words such as these are a wonderful gift from her wonderful Mom. : )

dolores said...

Oh goodness....Dana and Razor have a 16 year old!;)

DebbyMc said...

She is so stunning and lovely! And, you my dear, have so much to do with the magnificent person she is. Happy day, to both of you!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

And she bloomed because you watered her well with your love and careful nurturing. Happy birthday to you daughter.

QuiltNut Creations said...

she is a beauty! happy birthday to her.

angela said...

She is a beautiful young lady. I'm sure she turned out so well because she has you for a mom. You have a wonderful family.

Jo said...

A beautiful post for a beautiful young lady, I hope she had a very happy birthday x

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

She is beautiful, inside and out. Next year we must plan a lunch together again. Happy 16th my dear.

Menton quilter said...

Wow she is soooooo.... beautiful!!!! You can tell even from the photos that she is just as beautiful inside as on the outside!

Cassie said...

Dana, I want you to know that not only do you inspire me as a quilter, but as a mother too. I can only hope I can manage to raise my two little girls to be as great as yours. It sounds like you are raising some pretty awesome women <3

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl! I always love your birthday posts- they remind to to be more vocal in affirming my own daughter. You have a wonderful family.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a beautiful tribute to an inspiring young woman!
That made my day!